Starting a business involves planning, making key financial decisions, and completing a series of legal activities. Not all businesses require you to complete every step, but it will get you on your way to establishing a solid foundation.
Step 1: Conduct market research
Step 2: Write your business plan
Step 3: Fund your business
Step 5: Choose a business structure
Step 6: Choose a business name
Step 7: Register your business
Step 8: Get federal and state tax IDs
Step 9: Apply for licenses and permits
Step 10: Open a Business Bank Account
This guide, prepared by the SBA provides useful information for small business owners.
- Business tips
- Stories about successful entrepreneurs
- Programs for Veterans
- Information about financing
- SBA Contracting programs
- Women-Owned Small Business Certification
- Tips for Finding Government Contracting Opportunities
Using and registering with SAM is free. If any organization tries to charge you for using this government website, be aware.
There is no cost to use SAM. You can use this site for FREE to:
- Register to do business with the U.S. government
- Update or renew your entity registration
- Check status of an entity registration
- Search for entity registration and exclusion records
Click the SCORE logo for free classes on demand and webinars on entrepreneurship and business.
Click the cash to watch the webinar: Where's the Money? 10 Small Business Loan Types & How to Qualify.
Download the ebook here: SCORE-Nav-wheres-money-10-types-small-business-financing-eguide-reduced.pdfDownload the ebook here.